The first squatter in Imbil was John Daniel MacTaggart who took up 2 clocks of country called Bunya Creek and Bluff Plains. The area given for these runs was 16,000 acres each or 25 square miles. It was in July 1851 that MacTaggart submitted the tender for these runs. That meant, in all probability he has occupied the country just prior to this. The tender for these runs were accepted and on the 30th of May 1857 the commissioner for crowns lands recommended that cedar Creek or Caeder Creek be called Yabber Creek. In 1857 MacTaggart sold out his interest in the runs to Clement and Paul Lawless. Under the crown’s land Alienation Act of 1868 they were consolidated as Imbil and Clement and Paul Lawless were recorded as Lessees. On October 21st, 1873 John Ellworthy and Matthew Mellor took over Imbil from the Lawless family. They did not have sufficient capital to pay for the station outright so they raised a mortage with Ellen Lawless, a widow. They owed her nearly 6000 pounds – this was due to be paid in instalments – one due in 1874 and the other in 1865 with 7 percent interest. The property was mortgaged with nearly 3000 head of cattle some of which were branded CR or PLI on the off rump.